There’s a list out today of the world’s 15 highest paid tv actors.
Before you take a look at the list, take a really wild, out there guess about the gender balance in that list. 50:50 male female?
Knowing what you do already about pay equity and gender pay gaps, perhaps you’ll go for something a little more skewed in favour of men. 75:25 male female? Maybe even 80:20?
Well, thank you for playing. Those of you who guessed 100:0 are right.
1. Jim Parsons – $US29 million – male
2. Johnny Galecki – $US27 million – male
3. Mark Harmon – $US20 million – male
4. Simon Helberg – $US20 million – male
5. Kunal Nayyar – $US20 million – male
6. Ashton Kutcher – $US20 million – male
7. Jon Cryer – $US15 million – male
8. Ray Romano – $US15 million – male
9. Patrick Dempsey – $US12 million – male
10. Simon Baker – $US12 million – male
11. Ty Burrell – $US11.5 million – male
12. Jesse Tyler Ferguson – $US11 million – male
13. Ed O’Neill – $US10.5 million – male
14. Eric Stonestreet – $US10.5 million – male
15. Kevin Spacey – $US9.5 million – male
All four main male characters from Big Bang Theory are on the list, but not Kaley Cuoco.
I’m guessing that may be a problem with the way the list was constructed, because reports have said that Ms Cuoco is paid over $1million an episode, like her male co-stars.
But that’s the other problem with the list. If it’s inaccurate, then it’s helping to reinforce the idea that women are worth less than men.
Grump grump grump.